EEA nationals

If your familiy members are EEA (European Economic Area) or Swiss nationals they can come to the UK in the same way as you without restriction.

You should ensure that every member of your family has a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), issued in your home country, to ensure that they have comprehensive medical cover.

EU referendum

Following the referendum on 23 June 2016, the UK has formally signalled its intent to withdraw from the EU by the triggering of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. There are no immediate changes to the status of EEA nationals living in the UK or those planning to come to the UK.

The process of leaving the EU is likely to take a minimum of two years from the date the UK gave notification of its intention to leave the EU (29 March 2017). The position of EEA nationals in the UK remains unchanged throughout this time.

The University is aware that the situation around the EU referendum may change; please visit the advice for EU and EEA students page for up-to-date information.

Family members who are not EEA or Swiss nationals

If your family members are not EEA or Swiss nationals, only the following family members can come with you or join you in the UK:

  • your husband or wife
  • your civil partner
  • children who are dependent on you or on your spouse or civil partner.

If you want to bring other family members, such as your unmarried partner or parents, it is at the discretion of the UK government.

If you want your partner to accompany you, you need to show that you have been in a relationship similar to marriage for at least two years.

If you want to bring parents or other relatives, you need to show that they were members of your household or dependent on you in your home country, or that they are seriously ill and require your personal care.

Find out about applying for an EEA family permit.